Otaku Heaven
Are you a member? If so then log in otherwise register, we are more than happy to welcome you here

Otaku Heaven

HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 

My review on the Contra series

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WarioMan
Gaming Mod
Gaming Mod

PostSubject: My review on the Contra series   Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:32 am

Good evening, and yeah, I am aware the "Game Reviews" sub-forum doesn't have a lot of activity at the moment. So...I thought about posting my reviews on the Contra games from certain eras (as in, one era per post) so as to help keep my topic afloat. Alrighty, let's begin by comparing the well-known arcade and NES versions of the first two Contra games. The first part's gonna be real long, but I'm certain you can bear with me on that.

THE OLDEN 80s
Contra (arcade) - 1987

GAMEPLAY
The game that started it all. It's a typical 2D side-scrolling shooter, and you could play it solo or with a partner. One hit, and you lose one of your remaining lives (and a power-up you were equipped with), but you respawn on the spot. Simple as that, right? In a sense, yes. However, a couple things I didn't like were the time limit you have to put up with during the two pseudo-3D base stages. One other thing: while the item pillboxes show up occasionally (and in the NES version as well), the power-up pods that float through the screen occasionally appeared only if you're stuck with the default peashooter. Finally - and at the time for an arcade game - you're only given 3 continues regardless of how many coins you inserted. Despite these three flaws, it didn't stop me from enjoying the short but sweet arcade classic itself...and the fun levels it had to offer.

GRAPHICS
The graphics were pretty good for its time, along with the animation on the characters and weapons alike.

AUDIO
The stereo sounds were actually good, especially the soundtrack, the sounds of your guns, and the explosions. In fact, I liked the songs used for both the Jungle and Waterfall levels!

REPLAYABILITY
Like I said before, this game is short, but it is an enjoyable classic. Nowadays, you can play it on an emulator or through your X-Box 360 as a downloadable "X-Box LIVE Arcade" title. Personally, I kinda like it more than the arcade Super Contra, simply because the jumping isn't as awkward(more on that later).

ARCADE VERSION RATING: 8/10

Contra (NES) - 1988

GAMEPLAY
While it plays just like the original arcade version from 1987, the stages were extended a little bit to be longer, whereas the final level was split into four separate stages. Of course, you pretty much know the difference by now that there's 8 stages in all. But onto the gameplay: the controls and gameplay are superb. You also are no longer restricted with a time limit in the pseudo-3D base stages you come across throughout the game, which I think is good. I also liked the fact that the power-up pods floating across the screen occasionally would always appear (which is later common in pretty much the entire Contra series), whether you're currently equipped with a power-up or not, unlike the arcade version.

GRAPHICS
As anyone would expect, the graphics were a tad inferior in comparison to the arcade version. But as a rule of thumb, that's because of technological limitation. Either way, the layout for the NES version is still as passable - and colorful - as ever, much less the level design.

AUDIO
When it comes to Konami, especially from yesteryear, the audio was well-done for the most part. The whole soundtrack, in my opinion, was truly memorable, even if the songs didn't sound as awesome like in the arcade version. In addition, it gives you the feeling of an action hero (and a buddy, in 2 player mode) fighting intergalactic bad guys to save the Earth. And I still love the Jungle and Waterfall levels' theme songs.

REPLAYABILITY
Overall, I'm real glad I went back to this game and all the other Contra titles I've missed out on (sans Contra III: The Alien Wars) back in my younger days. While it's still short at about 20 minutes long for an average "no-continues-used" playthrough despite it being twice as long as the arcade version, it's still a sweet game to play - whether solo or alongside a partner. It's a tough game to master, but fairly hard nonetheless.

NES VERSION RATING: 9/10

Super Contra (arcade) - 1988

GAMEPLAY
Aside from the pseudo-3D levels being replaced with top-down vertical-scrolling stages, I liked the idea that you could upgrade whatever power-up you're equipped with into its "super" level. However, I have heard that even getting the same weapon twice for the upgrade doesn't always guarantee a victory; as in, having the upgraded Spread Gun around kinda makes things tougher than if you had an upgraded Machine Gun in your possession. Another thing I'd like to take into account is your character's jumping. It's kinda awkward; like you have to hold the "up" direction while you're in midair just to jump higher.

GRAPHICS
The level design and character sprites were pretty good at the time, and I think they still are today (and not distracting either). A couple things I found odd (not that it matters) were the Machine Gun's bullets looking like missiles, and the second-player guy (Lance Bean) sporting a long hair rather than Sylvester Stallone's hairstyle.

AUDIO
The audio system was upgraded from the original Contra arcade. In other words, the soundtrack was superb. I actually enjoyed just about every different song on each stage. The sounds of your weapons being fired, along with the explosions, were neatly done as well, in my opinion.

REPLAYABILITY
Well, it's not as enjoyable as the first Contra on the arcade, but I still consider it a good classic either way. Just take note that you still have a strict continue system to contend with (depending on the DIP settings, you'll have 3 or 5 shared continues altogether), regardless of how many coins you inserted. I mean, sure, it's no big deal if you're playing on an emulator or your X-Box 360 (via X-Box LIVE Arcade), but still.

ARCADE VERSION RATING: 7/10

Super C (NES) - 1990

GAMEPLAY
It's pretty much the same as with Contra (NES), only now, the Flame Gun was modified into an explosive fireball that goes straight, thus making it a useful weapon.

GRAPHICS
Like with the NES version of Contra, the graphics were obviously a little inferior compared to the arcade version of Super Contra. But this does not mean we can't enjoy Super C on NES. Speaking of which, the stages (and the power-ups you can get) had good detail for the most part. Plus, you can now tell from the palette-swapped running grunts, which one will fire at you. This later became common in some other Contra games to date, in which red-colored enemy grunts will stop to fire a shot or two at you.

AUDIO
Pretty much the same deal as with Contra on NES, except the audio was toned up throughout the entire game. In other words, it was truly inspiring, given this game's action theme.

REPLAYABILITY
It's no secret that the Contra games are typically short, and Super C is no exception. Whether you're going solo or playing alongside a buddy, or just wanna show off your skills by doing a peashooter-only run (which I did once, and without using a continue), you'll have a blast in one of Konami's finest 8-bit classics. Sure, it ain't as excellent as Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) or Contra 4 (DS) in my opinion, due to it being easier than the first Contra on NES, but still enjoyable nonetheless.

NES VERSION RATING: 8/10

That about wraps up the 80s era, and I will see you next time. Smile

"Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!" ~Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V Advance)

"You mean THESE sunglasses? You can't afford THESE sunglasses! And get your hands off the ropes!" ~Super Macho Man (Punch-Out!!)

"Hey, hoser! I'm gonna hit ya so hard, yer gonna see northern lights, eh!" ~Bear Hugger (Punch-Out!!)

"I bet you really gotta watch where you step in a game called "Hero's Doodie"! *laughs*" ~Vanellope von Schweetz (Wreck-It Ralph)

Last edited by WarioMan on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WarioMan
Gaming Mod
Gaming Mod

PostSubject: Re: My review on the Contra series   Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:29 pm

With the Contra games from the late 80s covered, let's move on to the early 90s. However, I won't be covering Contra Force not just because it's non-canon; it simply did not feel much like Contra, to be honest.

THE RISING 90s
Operation C (Game Boy) - 1991

GAMEPLAY
Despite the lack of the traditional 2-player co-op feature (I presume it might've been too difficult to tell Bill Rizer and Lance Bean apart because of the monochrome layout), it's an enjoyable classic. In fact, all of your weapons are autofire, including your default one: a machine gun. Your arsenal consists of the Spread Gun, the only weapon to be upgraded, as well as the Super C-style Flame Gun. New to the series, on the other hand, are the Homing Missiles. All in all, the weapons are just about equally powerful, including the default machine gun.

GRAPHICS
For a Game Boy game, the monochrome layout isn't bad. In fact, it's actually pretty good.

AUDIO
Obviously, the songs from the first Contra were reused, although a couple new songs were added for this game. It may be a bit toned down, but it's still passable in an action theme-like sense.

REPLAYABILITY
It's only 5 levels long, but they're creative in my opinion. You could say this game is slightly easier than Super C, given the fact that your whole arsenal of power-ups are equally powerful alongside your default gun. To sum the game up in 3 words: short, but sweet.

MY RATING: 8/10

Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) - 1992

GAMEPLAY
Now this, my friends, is one of the best in the Contra series in my opinion, second to Contra 4 (more on that in the "Nintendo DS era and beyond" section)! All the power-ups are autofire once again (a couple of which were modified, like the Flame Gun being an actual Flamethrower) which is now common in most of the series, even though the default machine gun's firepower is weak. Secondly, another interesting feature which also became common over the years was you could hold up to two weapons at once. These, along with the boss fights that take up just about half the screen, are the reasons why I love Contra III.

GRAPHICS
Konami took a big step into the 16-bit era by putting detail into the character sprites, your arsenal of weapons, the level design, the explosions, and even the big bosses you face at the end of each level. Kinda gives you the feeling as if it were a movie, doesn't it? I'm just saying, but hey, it's your call.

AUDIO
The audio was real awesome, including the songs being played during the game. I especially enjoyed some of my favorite songs, such as the one for the first level ("It's Time for Revenge"), the boss battle theme ("Bloody Storm")...just to name a few.

REPLAYABILITY
A true classic indeed. The stuff I talked about in the gameplay part of this review are all the reasons why Contra III has great replayability. Whether you're practicing on Easy or by starting off with 7 lives instead of the usual 3, or even going all out on Normal or Hard with 3 lives, you'll love this game. It's tougher than the first two Contra games from NES, but enjoyable nonetheless. Remember: when you're playing solo or with a friend, practice makes perfect!

MY RATING: 9/10

Contra: Hard Corps (Sega Genesis) - 1994

GAMEPLAY
One of the first games (aside from Contra Force, but I'm not gonna cover it since it didn't feel much like Contra in my opinion) to have four different characters to choose from. Each of them has a different arsenal of four weapons, including his or her own style of an upgraded default machine gun, to utilize. It's no walk in the park, given the subtitle "Hard Corps", but what makes this game exciting is that you'll be facing plenty of bosses as the plot unfolds. Occasionally, you'll be given a choice of which of the two paths you wish to take. It is crucial, as the ending you'll get depends on the paths you took. In fact, Contra: Hard Corps was the first game to have multiple endings.

GRAPHICS
The graphics were the definition of "blast processing", being a Sega Genesis title. By that, I mean they, along with level creativity, were well-detailed like with Contra III on SNES.

AUDIO
The sound effects were awesome, despite the voice clips sounding a bit awkward (I think). The soundtrack, on the other hand, was the definition of great metal music. That is what also makes this game worthwhile, let alone worthy of being in your collection of Sega Genesis games.

REPLAYABILITY
Boy, I really missed out on that Sega Genesis game back in the day, didn't I? Well, not anymore, because I'm proud to have looked back to see what I've missed when I was but a Nintendo fan (though I did grow up with certain non-Nintendo franchises, like Bomberman, Mega Man, and yes, even Contra). In my opinion, having your character's entire arsenal of weapons in possession and fighting tons of bosses makes it all worthwhile.

Contra: The Alien Wars (Game Boy) - 1994

GAMEPLAY
Developed by Factor 5 (well known for the Star Wars Rogue Squadron series, in addition to Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo), the level structure was altered in order to fit the GB screen. They removed most enemy bosses you'd face in the original SNES version, along with the level that had you ride a motorbike throughout the first half. Since the Game Boy obviously isn't as equally powerful as the SNES is, Factor 5 replaced the rotation movement with the ability to strafe for the two top-down stages. But aside from that, the core gameplay remains the same, except you're restricted to holding only one weapon at a time - however, you can still use super bombs to clear the screen of enemies. With the Laser Beam absent, you're likely better off sticking with the Spread Gun or the Flamethrower if you can. The Crash Missiles are just as equally powerful, but given the slow rate of fire, it may not guarantee your survival on Hard or Maniac. The Homing Missiles seek out enemies, but are practically useless in this version because of the slow rate of fire in addition to their weak power.

GRAPHICS
Like with Operation C, I'll be as fair as possible. The monochrome layout wasn't too bad, even if the five levels were rather inferior in comparison to the original Contra III. In fact, Factor 5 did alright with the sprites and level design.

AUDIO
Though not as badass as in the original Contra III, the songs were still decent enough. This version does have a different boss theme, which I sorta found a bit tolerable. Either way, I'll be bringing this up into comparison during the review on the GBA version another time, so keep that in mind...

REPLAYABILITY
Despite the limits that were built-in to the GB version, it's passable overall. Just like Operation C, it's 1-player only, but that's fine by me since it's a GB game. A seasoned gamer will likely finish this in about 15-20 minutes, and there's a password feature (only 4 characters long, as in much much shorter than in the GBA version -- more on that later) in case you want to pick up where you left off another time, especially if you're playing on Maniac. 2 lives, no continues, and no bonus lives; that's where the 4-character password truly comes into play unless you don't care if you get a Game Over. It's just that the physics take getting used to since it feels slightly different from the original SNES version.

MY RATING: 7/10

That pretty much covers the early 90s era, but ohhh boy, did things turn rather bleak for the series in the PS1's heyday... Shocked

"Now we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!" ~Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy V Advance)

"You mean THESE sunglasses? You can't afford THESE sunglasses! And get your hands off the ropes!" ~Super Macho Man (Punch-Out!!)

"Hey, hoser! I'm gonna hit ya so hard, yer gonna see northern lights, eh!" ~Bear Hugger (Punch-Out!!)

"I bet you really gotta watch where you step in a game called "Hero's Doodie"! *laughs*" ~Vanellope von Schweetz (Wreck-It Ralph)

Last edited by WarioMan on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WarioMan
Gaming Mod
Gaming Mod

PostSubject: Re: My review on the Contra series   Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:09 am

Welcome to part 3 of my Contra series review. Tonight, I cover the two Contra titles released for the PlayStation. Remember when I said things turned rather bleak? Well, here are my personal thoughts...

FALL FROM GRACE
Contra: Legacy of War (PS1 and Sega Saturn) - 1996

GAMEPLAY
You may or may not have known this by now, but this game was designed and developed by an Eastern-European company known as Appaloosa Interactive. However, this was a disappointment, in my opinion. All the stages are top-down, isometric 3D-scrolling action, but given the way the game was implemented, it's often hard to tell if you're dodging an enemy shot properly or bound to be hit by one. Plus, the controls were kinda awkward, including a button that manually toggles between locking your aim and shooting as normal. Finally, the life system was altered a bit, in which your lives act as your character's actual HP.

GRAPHICS
I'll be as fair as possible on this: at the time, 3D gaming was still in its early stages, so of course the graphics were gonna look like crap at first glance. However, I've seen and played some mediocre early-3D games (i.e. Bomberman World on PS1) even to this day, that at least had some good detail. The levels and bosses may be 3D, but the character and weapon sprites were more like...well, 2D-ish cardboard cut-outs, I suppose. Speaking of level design, some parts of the game were just horrendous. I mean, take for example on one thing: sometimes, when you're jumping (which is awkward) across the platforms in midair, it's hard to tell whether you'll land safely or just fall through and lose a life. As for the playable characters themselves, I find it nonsensical that when your "HP" hits zero and you die again, he/she explodes like a time bomb (even if the character you're playing as isn't a robot).

AUDIO
The sounds were pretty mediocre in my opinion, but I'll give credit on one thing: the music wasn't bad. I actually found some songs to be tolerable, mainly the first level's music (Urban Warfare) being a remix of the city theme from Contra III.

REPLAYABILITY
Unless you're a masochist (even though I doubt beating the game on Hard is worth it), you're probably better off avoiding this game. I'll be honest, though: it was indeed the second Contra game I ever played, but at the time when I was a kid (and before I went to high school in 2002), I never really knew the difference between a good game and a bad one. Now that I do, Contra: Legacy of War sucks, in my opinion. Do not play it, even with a friend in 2-player mode.

MY RATING: 3/10

C: The Contra Adventure (PS1) - 1998

GAMEPLAY
Well, this is gonna be a bit long, so bear with me. Alright, ready? Here we go...

Despite the lack of two player co-op (as with both Operation C and the Game Boy port of Contra III), they ditched the isometric layout of the levels - and instead, returned the game to its roots...but only for the first and final levels of the game. Between said levels, you'll be spending the majority of your time in 3D; in other words, third-person shooter levels. On top of that, while the "basic training" covers what you'll see in a 3D level, it doesn't really prepare you much for all of them due to, and I quote the in-game briefing: "our limited knowledge on the aliens." On account of 3D levels, you often have to move your view upwards or downwards with the L1 and L2 buttons not only to aim, but also to see whatever's been trying to hit you. At other times, you'll be hit from behind; you'd then have to turn around then attack before the enemy attacks eat up more of your health. Strafing with the R1 button ain't too much of a problem, but going prone requires you to hold R2 to do so.

Overall, the controls for the 3D levels felt...well, clunky, if not completely awkward. And here, I thought the controls for Legacy of War were bad enough. Well, this (on account of the 3D levels in C: The Contra Adventure) is worse. Speaking of Legacy of War, C: The Contra Adventure ends after the first 5 levels on Easy with a debriefing message telling you that you passed the "advanced training", and are ready to try Normal or Hard. Why am I comparing this, you ask? That's because the game also has a level select code, in which you can use to bypass the limit and still play through the rest of the game on Easy.

GRAPHICS
The character sprites were slightly better, but like with Legacy of War, I've seen some mediocre early-3D games having at least a bit of good detail. I know this is a short description, but then again, the graphics look like crap by today's standards.

AUDIO
Same deal as with the previous Contra game developed by Appaloosa Interactive. Some of the songs are tolerable in my opinion (perhaps the one from the first level at least), though. Oh, and have fun trying to tolerate Ray Poward's corny one-liners, especially throughout the 3D levels, in the game. Seriously.

REPLAYABILITY
I could say this game is slightly better than Contra: Legacy of War...but not by much. Unless you're a masochist or a die-hard Contra fan, I strongly recommend against playing this game and/or Legacy of War. Dismissed!

MY RATING: 4/10

Due to the way Appaloosa Interactive "handled" the development business, the Contra series bit the big one for a while...at least, until 2002 when the PlayStation 2 came out. From what I've read on Wikipedia, Konami once had plans for a Nintendo 64 installment in the series titled "Contra Spirits 64", that would have been handled directly by them, but instead they scrapped it in favor of awaiting the next console generation. Thus, they started the project anew as Contra: Shattered Soldier.

The next part of my review on the whole series will focus on both PS2 titles in the series, along with the GBA version of Contra III. Till next time...

Last edited by WarioMan on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
WarioMan
Gaming Mod
Gaming Mod

PostSubject: Re: My review on the Contra series   Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:48 am

Part 4 of my Contra series review (though needless to say at this point) will be covering the Contra games from early 2000, prior to the official release of the Nintendo DS. But before I get to the PS2 titles I mentioned, let's take a look at the GBA port of Contra III first. Remember when I said the password feature in the GB version was shorter than in the latter? I'm bringing it up now, because apparently Konami didn't learn their lesson from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES), in which its password was 16 characters long with letters and numbers to boot. I kid you not, but I digress.

REVIVAL, POST 2000
Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX (GBA) - 2002

GAMEPLAY
Despite the removal of both the super bombs and the ability to hold two weapons at once, the gameplay and challenge are still as good as ever. In fact, you do get to lock your shooting angle with the L Button, while still moving. Then again, an online friend of mine, Iniche, mentioned how the two levels from Contra: Hard Corps (which replaced the overhead levels from the original Contra III) appeared to unbalance the difficulty to some. Another thing I forgot to bring up in my Contra Advance playthrough, which I posted one time on GameAnyone, was the fact that (according to Iniche, again) this game uses an engine which isn't completely capable of reproducing Contra III's gameplay in GBA form.

For instance, some boss attacks were either slowed down a bit or removed (though the bosses themselves still present a decent challenge), while the Flamethrower power-up sucks now. Even the lesser enemies aren't safe from the game engine's technological limitations. Seriously, I once challenged myself to beat the game on Normal without getting any power-ups, and I had little to no trouble at all due to the default machine gun's slightly toned-up firepower. In short, compared to both SNES and GB versions, a seasoned gamer - and not just me - would feel as if they're fighting an evil army of incompetent boobs from space (sans the bosses) half the time.

GRAPHICS
The layout of the level backgrounds appeared to be a bit more "painted" than their original selves, but not too bad. As for the sprites, Bill (Player 1), Lance (Player 2), and all the enemy characters are represented at their best; however some bosses did look a little squished to fit the GBA screen.

AUDIO
While the sounds are decent, the quality for the game's music was lowered, if not badly, compared to the original SNES version. It's still passable even on the GBA speaker, just not that great.

REPLAYABILITY
Even though Contra Advance isn't as awesome as the original Contra III, it's still fun to play, whether by yourself or with a buddy (via GBA Link Cable). Speaking of going solo - and get ready to hear this now - it's best if you play through the game in one sitting, since its password feature isn't really necessary at all. Seriously, you're better off overlooking it altogether, because the password is over 18 characters long, and you have to toggle each of them up or down just to get the password right. See, I told you Konami didn't learn their lesson from Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. Simply ignore the password, and you're good to go solo. The game's already short enough as it is anyway, even if you run out of continues.

MY RATING: 6.5/10

Contra: Shattered Soldier (PS2) - 2002

GAMEPLAY
Now back in Konami's hands, Contra: Shattered Soldier takes the franchise back to its 2D roots. Only now, you have three different weapons at your disposal from the start, each having its own charge shot. As Bill Rizer or Lucia (his new partner), you have lots of bosses to fight throughout the levels, but here's the catch: everything you do (sans killing the enemy grunts running across the screen) counts towards your "Hit Rate." Losing a spare life or continuing from a checkpoint after getting a Game Over, however, penalizes you. Honestly, I didn't like that feature much, especially since it apparently affects the second half of the game, and the ending you'll get. So unless you're good enough to destroy every enemy target on sight and avoid dying so much, expect to see the bad ending often (if not too much).

GRAPHICS
Another step taken into 3D, but in a 2.5D kind of way. I thought Konami got it right for the most part, especially the level design and the big bosses you fight.

AUDIO
Honestly, I thought the soundtrack was alright, despite that most songs didn't seem to fit the Contra theme all that much. The sound effects, however, were decent.

REPLAYABILITY
Due to the "Hit Rate" system, this game is no walk in the park. But, while it isn't for every gamer because of that, it's still passable whether you're solo or with someone. Just don't expect the 30 lives code to save you from getting the bad ending, because losing lives still penalizes your percentage at the end of each level.

Neo Contra (PS2) - 2004

GAMEPLAY
Taking place in a better isometric perspective, this game now has a "weapon type" system. Each one consists of its own standard, fire, and homing weapons. Honestly, I kinda liked Types A (Machine Gun, Grenade Bomb, and Lock-on Missile), D (Lightning, G Bazooka, and Heaven's Laser), and F (Ripple Laser, 6V Laser, and Variable Weapon) the best. Anyway, the "Hit Rate" system is still present, only its penalization isn't as harsh like in Contra: Shattered Soldier.

GRAPHICS
The levels, enemy characters, bosses, and the playable characters (Bill Rizer and his new partner, Jaguar) are detailed. However, when there's so many enemies during a 2-player co-op session, the game goes through slow-down. Fortunately, it doesn't detract from the game too much as it lasts a few seconds.

AUDIO
Heavy metal/techno music at its best, although I didn't find all the songs as fitting to the Contra theme. The sound effects of your guns and the enemies you blast are neat. As for the voice-acting, I thought it was kinda decent. And yes, I'm aware some of you might find it intolerable (which is pretty much the reason you prefer to skip the dialogue cutscenes). It's your call, though.

REPLAYABILITY
Not as enjoyable as all the other good Contra games I've ever played, but hey, at least it's more competent than Contra: Legacy of War and C: The Contra Adventure will ever be, in terms of gameplay.

MY RATING: 7/10

Four parts down, and only one more to go! I've said it before, but I'll say it again: see you next time!

Back to top Go down
WarioMan
Gaming Mod
Gaming Mod

PostSubject: Re: My review on the Contra series   Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:07 am

It's time for the grand finale, because like the old saying goes, all good things must come to an end (well, for the most part). In other words, I've saved the best for last...

NINTENDO DS ERA AND BEYOND
Contra 4 (DS) - 2007

GAMEPLAY
Now that...is...AWESOME! And I have good reasons for saying it: Contra 4 takes the franchise back to its 2D roots for real, even though some might say it's more of a fangame than a true sequel to Contra III: The Alien Wars. The gameplay is at its best, and like with said prequel to the game, you can hold up to two weapons at once. New to the series is the grappling hook, which can get you out of a jam at times (although some levels disable its use). The returning feature from the arcade Super Contra is the ability to upgrade whichever weapons you're using by acquiring the same power-up twice (for example, the Flame Gun behaves like the exploding fireball weapon from Super C when upgraded), which adds greatly to the replay value aside from the grappling hook. Finally, the 9 enjoyable yet challenging levels it has in store via Arcade mode makes it a must-have in your DS collection.

GRAPHICS
Y'know, I gotta say: for a small-time American company like WayForward, they've outdone themselves with the level design and fluid character animation. Like so...

Then again, they are big fans of the series. From what I recall reading in an interview with WayForward through a Nintendo Power magazine from 2007 (I forget which month it was; it's been a while), they actually played some of the best Contra games so they would get an idea on where to go when they worked on Contra 4. One of their premises, as far as I remember, was to "make it familiar but do not copy."

AUDIO
The sound effects (and voice clips) are pretty decent, but here's the best part: famed composer Jake Kaufman did an excellent job with the soundtrack, which consisted of remixed songs from past Contra titles in addition to some new ones. Very creative indeed, especially my favorites such as Jungle 1, Waterfall, Base, Ocean, and even Neo City.

REPLAYABILITY
Overall, this is the best game, as well as a homage, in the Contra series, in my humble opinion. You'll be enjoying this for years to come, whether by yourself or with a buddy. In addition, there's the Challenge mode (unlocked after beating the game in Arcade mode once on any difficulty level) which gives you up to 40 different challenges to complete; for example, some involve hunting down 8 Man-Faced Mutts throughout the stage. Every four challenges you clear will unlock something cool, like secret characters (including the 16-bit versions of Bill and Lance, renamed Jimbo and Sully respectively like in the US version of Contra III), Contra and Super C from the NES, etc. I know some of you may find Contra III: The Alien Wars or Contra: Hard Corps to be the best in the series today, and others might declare Contra 4 as the best instead of the former two, but hey, it's your call.

MY RATING: 10/10

Contra ReBirth (WiiWare) - 2009

GAMEPLAY
Classic Contra III gameplay at its best, typically with an arcade feel. I mean, sure, the only weapons you have at your disposal (aside from your default machine gun) are the Spread Gun, Laser Beam, and Homing Missiles, but as long as this short yet sweet game is enjoyable, I'm not complaining. The only two downsides, albeit minor, are that you can't earn extra lives like you normally do when you score a certain amount of points, and during a two player co-op session, you can't borrow one of his/her spare lives whenever you've lost your last one.

GRAPHICS
The level design and character sprite animation were fluid for a downloadable WiiWare game. As they say, graphics can only make a game good so much, because gameplay mostly counts. Regardless, I think its visuals are as great as they can get.

AUDIO
I absolutely enjoyed the songs that were remixed from past Contra games. They even reused the "Player Select" song from Contra Force, which was a surprise at the time!

REPLAYABILITY
Despite the lack of online co-op and the fact that this game apparently wasn't for every Contra fan at first glance (though I doubt it to be completely true), you'll love what Contra ReBirth has to offer. It may be only five levels long in comparison to Contra 4 - or six you count the true final boss seen only on Normal or higher but the extras it has to offer (two unlockable characters aside from Bill Rizer and Genbei "Jaguar" Yagyu to play as, in addition to the Nightmare difficulty) makes it all worthwhile.

Hard Corps: Uprising (PSN/XBLA) - 2011

GAMEPLAY
While the run-'n-gun gameplay is as good as ever, you could say it's more of a spinoff than an actual Contra game...although there were some changes. For one, your arsenal of weapons now have two level upgrades rather than just one at a time. There's Arcade mode, suited for old-school gamers, as well as Rising mode, which you might count as an "easy setting" due to a character-upgrading system. Most of all, you now have a health bar (originally implemented in the Japanese version of Contra: Hard Corps on Sega Genesis/MegaDrive) - how many hits you take before losing a life depends on which character you use. For example, Bahamut can take three normal hits before dying, but Krystal can only take two.

GRAPHICS
I must say, the graphics were well-done and fluid for an anime-style downloadable game, if not too distracting. Then again, it was developed by none other than Arc System Works, well-known for its arcade 2D fighting game franchises, Guilty Gear and Blazblue. I've only heard of them, though I admittedly never got the chance to play either one. But back to the subject: I do agree on one thing in which it kinda lacks the "post-apocalyptic alien-infested world" theme that all the other Contra games have had over the years.

AUDIO
The sound and music are top-notch with the soundtrack being composed by Daisuke Ishiwatari, well-known for composing musical scores in the Guilty Gear series. Speaking of top-notch songs, they really do pay a homage to past Contra games, even though it's still more of a spinoff as I mentioned. It's just my opinion. But the voice-acting was laughable, especially the way Leviathan (one of the boss characters you face) cackles at you during a boss fight.

REPLAYABILITY
With all that said, Hard Corps: Uprising is still decent. Although I've yet to try and play it online with someone, I think the co-op mode is still fun even if you're stuck with doing it locally (depending on your Internet connection). If you're going for 100% completion on the Achievements/Trophies, expect to spend a lot of time on the more difficult ones, such as clearing the whole game without dying once or the one that requires going through Arcade mode without killing more than 50 enemy Privates. Either way, I'd say this game is recommended for those who enjoy run-'n-gun side-scrollers.

Well, that's about it! I hope you enjoyed my series of reviews on all the Contra games to date, and don't hesitate to post your thoughts if you want. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My review on the Contra series   

Back to top Go down

My review on the Contra series
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1